Weddings on a Budget
By Guest Writer – Maria Deng, Edited by Deeann Thomas
Weddings on a Budget, Part One – You are finally engaged, congratulations! Now, comes time to plan the wedding. But, who would have thought that everything would be so expensive?
Many questions will plague a couple’s mind as they begin to plan the biggest day of their lives. Such questions include:
- How much is reasonable to spend on an invitation?
- Should we get a professional dancer for the entertainment?
- Where can I get an affordable wedding dress?
It can definitely be difficult to plan accordingly, especially when on a budget. However, you CAN plan a wonderful wedding, and STAY within budget.
As long as you are ready to save, then let’s begin!
Nowadays, the Internet is thriving, with many connecting through email, webpages, and blog postings. Therefore, sending a wedding invitation through email, also known as an ‘evite’, is now a common trend. In some cases you can print the same ‘evite’ on card stock and use it for mailing as well.
Evites allow one to save money, consider the environment, and send a classy, yet simple invitation.
Many of these ‘evites’ also include R.S.V.P tracking, which is helpful for guests in confirming their attendance. Common ‘evite’ providers include:
You can also order invitations online, which can be more cost-effective, and faster, when shipped in bulk. Coupon codes can be used often for these types of invitations, which is a guaranteed incentive for those on a budget. Such websites which specialize in these types of invitations include:
Wedding receptions tend to cost over $20,000 for the average couple, especially when one factors in the venue itself.
If looking to save, find a venue in which in-house catering is an option. Therefore, costs will be kept low if the food and/or beverages are done on-site, as opposed to bringing in a separate caterer of your own.
Once your budget has been determined, there are many websites available to assist one in finding their dream venue. Services available at each site, along with all costs, are broken-down into detail, aiming to assist those needing careful guidance when budgeting. Such websites include:
Other options in saving money on a venue include:
Get Married On A Friday Or Sunday
- Although guests may not be satisfied about this option, it is your day, and remember, you are on budget.
- Many are opting for this option, as opposed to the traditional Saturdays, which are usually booked years in advance.
Manage Your Guest List Wisely
- Do you need to invite that old friend you haven’t seen in ten years? If not, consider cutting out certain guests to save costs.
- Likely, certain individuals may be disappointed for not receiving an invite. However, budget is key; think about those closest to you, and if they make the list, then they deserve that invite.
Consider A Non-Dinner Option
- Dinner is the priciest of options for wedding receptions, especially anytime after 6:00 pm. When mixed-in with an open bar, your tab is sure to skyrocket quickly.
- Consider options such as brunch, an afternoon tea, or even a cocktail/appetizer reception.
- Spritz it up with fruity cocktails, or signature dishes sure to please all guests (e.g. dessert bar, unlimited coffee/tea).
The Wedding Dress
Finding that perfect dress is every bride’s dream. However, it can also be daunting when cost is a factor. Dresses bought at high-end bridal boutiques can reach thousands, especially when factoring in alterations, shoes, hair accessories, and more.
Consider purchasing your dress either second-hand websites, or from a boutique specializing in donated dresses for a good cause.
Such websites and/or boutiques include:
- Donated dresses by past brides provide potential buyers with a wide-range
- Proceeds from all dresses are then donated to cancer charities, with thousands having been donated over the past thirteen years.
- Past brides donate their well-worn dresses to brides on a budget, with over 10,000 dresses currently on sale.
- A wealth of pictures, along with the option to chat with sellers and buyers, gives this website a safe pass for all potential brides.
Consignment shops for gently used Dresses
- Loved Again Bridal Boutique Barrie Ontario
- Second Dance St Catharines
- Savvy Bridal Consignment Boutique St Thomas Ontario
Information for this article can be found in the links below. As a disclaimer, this article is not an advertisement however, a well-researched body which was summarized from the links provided. All efforts were made to prevent errors in this submission.
Canadian Living: ’50 Ways To Save On Wedding Expenses’: http://www.canadianliving.com/life-and-relationships/weddings/article/50-ways-to-save-on-wedding-expenses
Money Crashers: ‘How to Save Money on a Wedding – Top 10 Ways’: https://www.moneycrashers.com/save-money-wedding/
Paul Manoian Photography: ‘Top 5 Tips To Save Money On Wedding Photography’: https://www.paulmanoian.com/photography/michigan-photographer-custom-photography-prices/michigan-wedding-photographer/wedding-photography-save-money-tips/
Popsugar: ‘Lavish Guests With Wedding Favors That Won’t Cost You Tons Of Cash’: https://www.popsugar.com/smart-living/How-Save-Money-Wedding-Favors-24017179
StepByStep: ‘How to Save Money on Transportation to Your Wedding’: http://www.stepbystep.com/how-to-save-money-on-transportation-to-your-wedding-94528/
The Knot: ‘9 Ways to Save on Your Wedding Cake’: https://www.theknot.com/content/save-money-on-wedding-cake
The Knot: ‘10 Money-Saving Tricks for your Venue and Menu’: https://www.theknot.com/content/save-money-wedding-venue-menu