Weddings on a Budget
By Guest Writer – Maria Deng, Edited by Deeann Thomas
Weddings on a Budget Part 2 – You are finally engaged, congratulations! Now, comes time to plan the wedding. But, who would have thought that everything would be so expensive?
Many questions will plague a couple’s mind as they begin to plan the biggest day of their lives. Such questions include:
- How much is reasonable to spend on an invitation?
- Should we get a professional dancer for the entertainment?
- Where can I get an affordable wedding dress?
It can definitely be difficult to plan accordingly, especially when on a budget. However, you CAN plan a wonderful wedding, and STAY within budget.
As long as you are ready to save, then let’s continue!
Beautiful flowers can cost thousands, especially roses, or the ever-popular, lilies. Flowers are needed for a multitude of items at a wedding, such as centerpieces, bouquets, or boutonnieres. Add that touch of flair however, at a lower cost, by following these few simple guidelines.
Use Lots of Greenery
- Filling a bouquet with greenery can provide a lovely look, while lowering the tab.
- Those with a green thumb will appreciate this, with those few flowers poking out to make a lasting impression.
Purchase from A Flower Wholesaler or Grocery Store
- Flower wholesalers will save your wallet, allowing for a beautiful variety to please any couple. Such wholesalers include:
- Costco: You can go to your local Costco and order flowers from them. I understand you can order them online as well.
- Bunches Direct: Wedding flowers are their speciality, with hundreds of customers purchasing daily from their website.
- Bloomex According to their website: “Bloomex was born along with its motto of “Fresh, Fast and Fair.” The company goal: to provide Canadian customers with superior quality gifts at much lower prices.”
- Grocery stores allow the option for one to pick-out their own flowers, with an associate usually available if any questions may arise.
Make Your Own Flowers
Fake flowers today look so real, everyone will be amazed! Find your favourites by browsing online or looking like at a place like Michaels You can check out Michaels in-store classes or watch YouTube videos. (beautiful DIY bouquet here YouTube)
Silk flowers have made an appearance lately, with many brides choosing this option.
Enlist the help of your bridal party, or other family members/friends to assist in the production. Take pictures, with a lot of great memories to follow!
Traveling from the service to a venue, or even to a secondary location for pictures, can be quite costly, especially when factoring in large bridal parties. There are multiple ways in which a couple can save on transportation. Although it may be less luxurious, your wallet will be pleased, and you will feel more relaxed as a result:
- Use Uber/Lyft
- Uber/Lyft can be cost-effective when transporting a large group of people, especially if a flat-rate is discussed beforehand.
- Ask the driver to pick-up one set of individuals first, then come back for the second-set afterwards, keeping costs low by using only one vehicle instead of two.
- Ask A Family Member/Friend
- What better way to incorporate a family member/friend into the wedding by asking them to drive the wedded couple or the bridal party.
- The individual(s) will be honoured, saving you time if waiting for a service that may not come punctually, or will cost you a fortune in the process.
- Avoid Additional Food/Drink Costs
- If renting a car, limousine, or bus, many individuals will opt for the additional ‘food’ or ‘drink’ packages, which can jack-up prices quickly.
- Either bring your own food/drinks, or, eliminate the additional packages all-together. One or two additional drinks won’t make a difference to the fun times in the end!
- Here is a great article on costing out a limo service
- Contact Car Club Members
- Owners of vintage cars usually belong to a car club, in which they are willing to rent out their vehicles for a small fee.
- Bargain with these individuals as much as possible, while choosing the car of your dreams!
All brides want to look their best, with hair/makeup at the top of that list. Looking beautiful doesn’t have to break the bank, with a variety of options to give brides that wedded ‘glow’.
Remember, beauty comes from within, but sprucing up that hair/makeup will add that golden touch of flair, sure to ‘wow’ anyone within view.
- Ask A Family Member/Friend
- All of us have that one family member/friend that rocks at hair and/or makeup. Utilize their services and ask for their help on your big day.
- Family members/friends are often the most honest in what looks good, or not. Allow their opinions to shine through; you will be grateful that you did!
- Recruit Students from Beauty Schools
- Students in hair/makeup courses are itching to get experience. Allow them to cover your hair/makeup by providing a smaller fee for their services.
- Your willingness to offer assistance will be greatly appreciated by these students, who may offer you further discounts in the long run once they graduate.
- Invest in New Additions
- New hairdressers and make-up artists are always looking to expand their portfolio. Provide them with that opportunity and slash your hair/makeup expenses in half.
- Many newbies want to offer cheaper packages for your services. Give it a go, they may surprise you!
We all look forward to the delicious wedding cake, with the luscious layers and decorative flowers, who could resist? Choosing a cake can be fun however, pricey, especially when considering all of the costs associated with it. There are many ways to save on the wedding cake and have a delicious cake for all to enjoy!
Simplify Your Cake
- Piping, many tiers, and a wealth of decorative items (e.g. diamond encrusted flowers) can cost hundreds.
- Try to simplify your cake by adding flat décor, such as painted flowers, or, go ‘naked’, by using no frosting, which eliminates labour costs enormously. Naked cakes ideas with no frostings
Eliminate Cake Stands & Fancy Cutting Sets
- Cake stands and cutting sets can cost hundreds, especially when going for the high-end items. Opt for cheaper stands/cutting sets if desired; since these items will only be used once, it will help to save on costs.
- Ask the venue if using their cake stands and cutting sets is an option. If not, ask family or friends to borrow theirs; or even purchase from a past bride.
- Check the Facebook Marketplace or for slightly used items from Buy and Sell Groups in your area
Make Your Own Cake
- What fun to make your own cake; choose your own décor, and you don’t have to worry about the labour costs.
- If you aren’t a baker, no problem! I’m sure a family members/friend would be ecstatic to assist, or even make it for you entirely.
Bye Bye Fondant
- Fondant is more expensive than buttercream frosting therefore, lean towards the buttercream instead. We all love to lick that frosting at the end!
- Some think that buttercream tastes better, and requires less time to complete, which equals more savings in your pocket.
Have A Fake Cake
- If the meal is quite large at your reception, why not consider a fake cake? It can look as elegant as a real cake, and nobody will know the difference!
- Most guests will be filled to the brim by the end of the night, with the cake ending up only as a décor piece. Save some dough (literally) and choose a fake cake instead.
Bakeries take pride in making any wedding cake an absolute success. Try one of these bakeries for the utmost beauty in cake making:
- Empire Bakery
- Located in Toronto, Canada, Empire Bakery allows couples to set-up a free consultation on their wedding cakes, with a wealth of options to choose from.
- They also have an online store, with a website boasting their previous cakes for all occasions.
- Le Gateau Bakeshop
- Vancouver, Canada is home to La Gateau Bakeshop, a boutique bakeshop that specializes in all occasions, with a flair for wedding cakes.
- Organic ingredients are used when possible, with gluten-free and vegan cakes an option if need be.
- Yuki Bakery
- A Japanese Patisserie, Yuki Bakery has become a well-known wedding cake staple in Montreal, Canada.
- Light flavours provide a delicate touch to all baked goods, with green tea as their speciality.
- Specializing in cupcakes, Layers in Halifax, Canada, also has a renowned reputation for their wedding cakes, which are handcrafted with only the freshest of ingredients.
- Ever considered a cupcake wedding cake? Let Layers assist you, as their cupcakes come in over a dozen flavours, with both mini and large ones to choose from.
- Simply Sweet Ltd.
- Try a sushi-themed cake, or even peanut butter and jam buttercream! Simply Sweet Ltd. in Calgary, Canada offers flavourings of all kinds, with cake pops and cupcakes also available.
- This bakery also offers baking classes, with a themed-class on sugar flowers, for both the beginner and advanced learner.
- Pipps Bakery and Custom Cakes Halifax NS – “committed to make your event truly a memorable one with the look and quality of nearly 3 decades of Bakery experience”
Information for this article can be found in the links below. As a disclaimer, this article is not an advertisement however, a well-researched body which was summarized from the links provided. All efforts were made to prevent errors in this submission.
- Canadian Living: ’50 Ways To Save On Wedding Expenses’: http://www.canadianliving.com/life-and-relationships/weddings/article/50-ways-to-save-on-wedding-expenses
- Money Crashers: ‘How to Save Money on a Wedding – Top 10 Ways’: https://www.moneycrashers.com/save-money-wedding/
- StepByStep: ‘How to Save Money on Transportation to Your Wedding’: http://www.stepbystep.com/how-to-save-money-on-transportation-to-your-wedding-94528/
- The Knot: ‘9 Ways to Save on Your Wedding Cake’: https://www.theknot.com/content/save-money-on-wedding-cake
- Wondering How Much Does A Limousine Cost to Rent by Quest Limos